Welcome to TileDB Embedded!
TileDB Embedded is a universal storage engine that stores any kind of data (beyond tables) in a powerful unified format, offering extreme interoperability via many APIs and tool integrations.
TileDB Embedded is a powerful engine architected around multi-dimensional arrays that enables storing and accessing:
- Dense arrays (e.g., images, video and more)
- Sparse arrays (e.g., LiDAR, genomics and more)
- Dataframes (any tabular data, as either dense or sparse arrays)
- Any data that can be modeled as arrays (e.g., graphs, key-values, ML models, etc.)
You can use TileDB to store data in a variety of applications, such as Genomics, Geospatial, Biomedical Imaging, Finance, Machine Learning, and more. The power of TileDB stems from the fact that any data can be modeled efficiently as either a dense or a sparse multi-dimensional array, which is the format used internally by most data science tooling. By storing your data and metadata in TileDB arrays, you abstract all the data storage and management pains, while efficiently accessing the data with your favorite programming language or data science tool via our numerous APIs and integrations.
TileDB Embedded is a fast embeddable C++ library with the following main features:
- Open-source under the MIT license
- Fast multi-dimensional slicing via tiling (i.e., chunking)
- Multiple compression, encryption and checksum filters
- Fast, lock-free ingestion
- Parallel IO for both reads and writes
- Cloud storage (AWS S3, Google Cloud Storage, Azure Blob Storage)
- A fully multi-threaded implementation
- Query condition execution push-down
- Schema evolution
- Data versioning and time traveling
- Metadata stored alongside the array data
- Groups for hierarchical organization of array data
- A growing set of APIs (C, C++, C#, Python, Java, R, Go),
- Numerous integrations (Spark, Dask, MariaDB, GDAL, and more)
The TileDB Embedded engine is built in C++ and exposes a C and a C++ API:
We maintain a growing set of language APIs built on top of the C and C++ APIs:
We extended TileDB Embedded to capture domain-specific aspects of important use cases:
There is a constantly growing set of tutorials in the TUTORIALS page group found in the left navigation menu of these docs.
If you'd like to take a deeper dive into the TileDB Embedded internals, you can check BACKGROUND in the left navigation menu. You can also always consult the HOW TO guides and the API REFERENCE.
Finally, detailed information about the various TileDB Embedded tool integrations and extensions can be found under the INTEGRATIONS & EXTENSIONS page group in the left navigation menu.
To make it easy to understand where to find what you are looking for, the documentation is structured in the following sections:
- Tutorials A series of examples for learning how to use TileDB in various use cases
- Background Explanation of key topics and concepts
- How To Short how-to guides for all different features of TileDB
- API ReferenceTechnical reference to the APIs
- Extensions & integrations Detailed documentation on the TileDB Embedded extensions and integrations
The company maintains two offerings:
TileDB Embedded along with its APIs and integrations are open-source projects and welcome all forms of contributions. Contributors to the project should read the contribution docs for more information.